Monday, September 26, 2011

All's Fair...




I've been knitting A LOT. This summer someone asked if I enter my knitting into fairs. I've never entered, with a list of reasons why- my work isn't up to par, I don't have the time, I don't know how to fill out the paperwork, etc.



All bull.



I was intimidated. Entering fairs seems like the big time. I hate being judged or for that matter, put under a microscope and entering my beloved knitting into any sort of contest seemed just like that.

So time passes, months go by. I knit a special shawl for my future sister in law, Meghan. There's beads, and more beads. I had so much fun making this thing. I loved every minute. It is by far my favorite thing I've ever knit.



So fair season starts. The person who asked me if I was entering earlier in the summer emails me a registration info for Haddam Neck Fair. I grabbed an orange shawlette and on a whim, the red beaded shawl.



Well, wouldn't you know? The red shawl won 1st place, the orange 2nd.


So I entered it into the Durham Fair, where the judging is said to be brutal.



I won 1st there too! And a pink "judge's choice" ribbon!

So excited!!


And Meg? Be good to my brother.


(Stats on the beaded shawl: Pattern is Arkansas Diamonds from Kay Meadors, AKA Natural State Knits. Wonderfully written. Her patterns are straightforward. Love that! Bittersweet Woolery's laceweight yumminess, in Cherry Bomb colorway. Size 6 needles. 350 small glass beads along the edges, 1000 larger crystal beads throughout the shawl. Ravelry Link...if you have more questions.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rows Red said...

See, I told you! Competition can be fun and you certainly cleaned house. So proud of you, and your shawls. :)

6:21 AM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Congratulations!

6:15 PM  
Blogger missalicefaye said...

Congratulations--they are lovely!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home